On Technical Paths…
Today, my apprentices had the opportunity to listen to others talk about the various paths in the technical realm. While I missed this discussion, the topic did make me reflect back on my own path.
The path I took went like this:
- Programmer – hobbyist
- Editor – national student publication
- Internships – programming
- IT support in academia
- Tech support/management for an Internet provider
- Systems support/database administrator/programmer for manufacturing
- Web development for an electronic media company
- Published author and tech editor of a technical book
- Independent consultant / conference organizer / speaker / community advocate
If you had told me that my career would take this path, I wouldn’t believe it. However, it’s truly been a labor of love, and I look forward to the journey ahead.